What was granted to be a proven theory past year has become outdated by now. So it is very important to update yourself with the present trends and updates before you begin working on optimization. If you still haven’t started, now would be the best time to start planning SEO for your website.
While you can find many online and free tools to check your site for flaws, here are some pointers that will help you identify and fix any problems:
– To start with, consider every single page of your website and make it as attractive as possible for visitors as well as for search engine crawlers. Some websites would need more work done than others, but each one would need some initial cleaning before you can start implementing SEO techniques.
– A clear navigation structure should be maintained while designing a website. Make sure the visitors landing on pages other than the home page do not get lost. The website structure should be such that the visitors are able to find the information they are looking for as quickly as possible. Ideally a visitor should reach the desired location within 3-clicks. Build your website so that the pages are interlinked and one can reach a desired page within one or two clicks.
– A breadcrumb navigation is recommended which makes all the pages easily accessible and is suitable for both human and search engine crawlers. A website with good navigation has chances to rank higher.
-Y ou can take help of programs like WebSite Auditor to check whether your website is clean enough or you need to pay attention to specific areas.
– Next you should focus on issues like meta tags, encoding issues, redirects and homepage content. Solving such issues will result in higher SEO results.
– The site’s URLs and links need to be checked for integrity; whether dynamic URLs are too long and do not support SEO keywords.
– 404 errors and broken links can prove deadly and lower the site’s search engine rank. The sooner you identify these and get them fixed, the better it is for your website.
Once you have spring cleaned your website, you can go ahead with advanced SEO strategies like content marketing, social media and digital marketing to increase your reach. The bottom-line of search engine optimisation is to reach potential readers, customers and service users; you need to do everything that will help you achieve this goal.
You can always take help from professional Search Engine Optimisers, who have the expertise to identify the problems and have them resolved at the earliest and also plan a SEO strategy for better results.